Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Plan


In more than a decade of marriage, my husband and I have incurred debt to go to college and start a family. On my quest to start paying the debt and save money, I began to pay more attention to our credit card expenses. Upon closer examination of a report generated by my bank (thanks USAA!), I discovered that within a month my family spent hundreds of dollars in restaurants, and this amount did not include the expenses that my bank did not recognize as “Restaurants/Dining,” such as those time we eat at Wegman’s (our grocery store).  No wonder we don’t have money to pay our debt or begin saving! No wonder our credit card balance remains high month after month despite our best efforts!

My family and I spend money on many things, but eating out is definitely a big expense every month. This is why I’ve decided to take action.  We are going to eat at home more often. 

Here is the problem: Though I enjoy cooking and love to follow recipes on occasion, I am not a person who likes to cook every day. I also have a full time job and two small children.  How am I going to find the time to cook?

Also, I am an adequate cook, but I’m not great. I also have to learn to improvise and become a versatile cook; I cannot expect my family to eat the same meals week after week.

Here is the plan:
 
I should
  •  Find recipes that are easy and quick to make, and adjust the recipes to our taste
  • Be creative.  Use as many ingredients from my cupboard as possible
  • Find key ingredients that can be used in multiple meals within the week
  • Find cheap, versatile ingredients and create delicious dishes
  • Plan meals ahead of time so that I don’t waste time thinking about what I should cook for dinner.  This approach should also help us when we do our grocery shopping
  • Try to find healthy dishes, but also indulge every now and then
  • Find shortcuts that make this task easier to accomplish
This blog shall become a record of my effort to learn how to cook more and eat out less.  Wish me luck as I begin this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment